Monday, September 20, 2010

fashion!

Yes, this is a design blog (all artsy fartsy and stuff), but I am a big fan of fashion. Well fashion is a broad term...clothing fashion would be a better choice of words probably.
...so when I get bored and/or I am in the process of procrastinating, I usually end up on design or fashion blogs, or making word documents full of pictures that I think are pretty or clothes I wish I could afford. BUT since I can't (my favorite stores are Anthropologie, J Crew, EmersonMade, Gap, Urban Outfitters, TopShop, etc...you get the picture), I feed the fire or desire really with pictures and stuff.
Man, I can go off on a tangent...yep.

So, where I was planning on going with that, was that I like clothes just as much as I like design, but the difference is that I can't see myself doing fashion for the rest of my life (I can just see myself spending all my money on it for the rest of my life). Being that I like it so much, I tend to kinda tie it in to my taste for design.

I really didn't know what my style was for like ever and it was really frustrating. I knew what I liked, but not what was "me" to say the least. Well guess what? My style in design is pretty much exactly the same in what I would wear or want to buy. As much as I like the really extravagant and over the top, ornate things, I wouldn't dress like that.
Never.
I mean, come on.
Even for prom I didn't go all out. I wore a knee length, black and white plaid dress from White House Black Market and a hot pink bow headband.
Me: simply, easy, and randomly fun!

What you can normally find me in is jeans and a cute shirt...I like florals and stripes. LOVE accessories, but not too many. Usually one or two layered necklaces, a vintage bracelet (maybe), and a couple rings. I am not a walking accessory. I am minimalistic (as minimalistic as you can be while still enjoying vintage and bohemian things).
If I am in a dress, it is usually more on the modest side, and typically paired with a sweater. I am a huge layerer (is that a word...layerer?).
I like boots and tights. Together, but also apart.
I don't do heels. That would be because I am tall, and I personally would like to stay under 6 feet, but that's just me.

So now that you have my whole life story...let me show you what I would do with it.

This is "me" (not me personally, but my style...I would so wear this if I owned it. Mom, how much do you love me?). Classic black jeans paired with, oh yes, brown leather boots. Whoever said you can't wear black with brown is stupid. It obviously is rockin. P.S. rules are just there so that we can break them...in case you haven't gotten the memo.
STRIPES. There is the pattern.
Can you spot the random funness....bright yellow flower pin! It is linen which I also am obsessed with btdubs.
So this outfit has visual interest, but remains simple.

When you design a room/ style it, you don't have to do a literal translation...not that there is anything wrong with it if you do.
With this I would get ALL vintage pieces, a cowhide rug, yellow floral drapes (there is me being literal for you), a dark grey linen couch, white moroccan and leather poufs, lots of pattern in the pillows and ottoman, and of course a wing back chair and maybe a victorian style one. Something like that.

Ok. I have just made a command decision and have decided not to hypothetically design a room for each outfit...just the first one.
The pattern on this dress is small white stars (more in the shape of the North star), not little polka dots. I am not a big fan of polka dots (not to say that I don't have anything with polka dots on it, because I do...a new pair of underwear, but it is balanced out by the leopard print--you didn't really need to know that).
LOVE this picture anyhow!

One word.
Nautical.
Ok...that is a VERY LITERAL translation, like walking out of the ocean literal. No creativity done on my part there.

Classic NAVY cardigan.
Walls would be navy in this hypothetical room that I will be decorating no further.
Hey, I like her pink nail polish here too.
Knowing me, I would be the one who designs around the nail polish...am I insane? Maybe a little bit.)
Want this jacket and clutch, but mostly the jacket. Hey mom!?
Beige...not so much for me, but I would wear this and I would live in it too (with colorful pillows and a toile wallpaper), yes I would.

Aight. I'm done...thanks for stopping by!

credits: all pictures and clothes by EmersonMade

2 comments:

  1. I love you loads, but probably not enough for those outfits. Good thing I'm sending you to college so you can get a job and buy them for yourself. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you a shout out and everything...and this is how you repay me. grand.

    ReplyDelete