Friday, September 3, 2010

mid-century mod..

Lets have a little heart to heart.
I HATE THEMED ROOMS.
Let me clarify...I like rooms with a theme, but not a themed room.
Let me clarify again.

Mid-century modern design. The key word is modern. It is an expansion off of the original mid-century design, not the actual thing. If I wanted my house to look like it came straight out of the 1950s, I would hop in my handy dandy time machine and take a joy ride into the past, but you don't see me doing that so instead of this...
or this...

I would prefer something like...

this
or...

{emily henderson}
this.

SO. Mid-century design was highly influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright's principles and the Scandanavian's architecture. This design is most commonly seen in the 1950s, but ranges from the mid 30s to mid 60s. It was creating a sense of open space in post war homes, and bringing the outdoors in. The lines and simplicity seen in nature were very influential on the architecture and furniture design at this time.
One of my favorite pieces of furniture out of this era is a chair.
Here is a pic...hopefully I can invest in one soon enough and reupholster it in some sick timless linen perhaps.

Would you like your eggs sunny side up? (I am makin fun of the pillow just in case you didn't follow my funniness.)
Also I like this pendant lighting from this period...don't know if it's 50s or not, but it's mid century none the less.

{emily henderson}

I challenge ya'll to find an era that inspires you. The 50s is mine I s'pose. Knowing this will help you in the personalization of your style.

Peace out!

1 comment: